Contract Type: Casual
Advert Start Date: 08 September, 2017
Advert End Date: 01 April, 2018
Salary: Allowance up to £160 per week
Location: Please refer to job summary
Weekly Hours: 0
Job Category: Non-Local Authority Job
Vacancy Ref: NLA/1625/Supported Lodgings Host/735/KH
1625 Independent People
Supported Lodgings Host - South Glos
We are currently accepting applications for
Supported Lodgings Hosts.
1625 Independent People prevents youth homelessness in the South West and has been helping 16-25 year olds reboot their lives through housing and support for over 30 years.
Our service works because we keep young people's needs at the centre of all delivery.
With around 100 staff in four locations, we provide housing support and advice to around 2500 young people per year. We’re one of the brightest youth organisations in the South West, leaders in our field; no other organisation in the area has the same wealth of experience.
You can read more about what we do and who we are.
About the role
Could you provide a young person with the following?
• A room of their own.
• Their own front door key.
• Use of facilities including kitchen, bathroom and living room.
• A safe and welcoming home environment.
• Advice and support on practical life skills like cooking, cleaning, shopping, laundry and using public transport.
• Encouragement to make and sustain positive choices in their lives.
Supported lodgings is one of many accommodation options available to young people, aged 16+ in South Glos. It offers the opportunity to live in the home of an approved person, known as a 'Supported Lodgings Host', for up to 2 years.
During the stay, approved ‘Supported Lodgings Hosts’ - or simply ‘Hosts' - will offer support with practical skills like cooking, cleaning and shopping, alongside encouragement and guidance to the young person in their care. Along with providing a safe living environment, Hosts also provide a listening ear, positive regard and guidance which encourage young people to develop their skills and grow.
Support for the Hosts is provided by the 1625ip Supported Lodging Coordinator. Hosts are supported to build a trusting relationship with the young person, set and maintain positive boundaries, and encourage young people to claim their independence.
Our work is rooted in providing support in a Psychologically Informed Environment framework known as PIE.
A typical week might include:
• Helping a young person cook their tea.
• Showing a young person how to use a washing machine.
• Showing a young person the local bus routes.
Does this sound like you?
• Not judgemental
• Up for a challenge
• Welcome and encouraging
If so, get in touch with us to find out more.
What can you expect from 1625ip?
1625ip will provide ongoing support through the Supported Lodgings Coordinator.
This will include:
• Comprehensive training and ongoing development opportunities.
• Out of Hours telephone support.
• Regular meetings with the Supported Lodgings Coordinator.
• Peer support network for Hosts.
Other benefits of becoming a Host include:
• The knowledge that you have provided a young person with a safe, encouraging space in which they can learn the skills needed for independence.
• The opportunity to role model positive adult behaviour to a young person who may not have had a healthy, mutually rewarding relationship before.
• Often Hosts go on to remain friends with their lodgers long after they have moved out and grown up.
Are hosts paid?
As a Host you will not become an employee of 1625ip. However, you will receive an allowance for being a lodgings provider of up to £160 per week.
The young person living with you will also pay a £15 per week service charge towards the cost of food, heating, lighting, water etc. The young person will give this directly to you.
This totals a weekly income of £175.
We are currently accepting applications for Supported Lodgings Hosts.
If you’d like to have an informal chat about the role please contact the Supported Lodgings Coordinator or the South Glos Services Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0117 969 5763.
You can download the Host Role Description at www.1625ip.co.uk/careers.
We believe in equal opportunities for everyone – you can read our full statement on our website.
NOTE: This is not a Local Authority post and applicants will need to satisfy themselves with regard to condition of service.